It’s hard to save money. It’s something we all struggle with, and it’s not exactly easy to know where to start.
We’ve put together a few tips for saving money at the grocery store that you can try next time you’re shopping for groceries. Even if you only try one or two of these, you’ll be surprised at how much money you save!
1. Plan your meals before grocery shopping and list the ingredients you will need. This will help you avoid buying more than you need, and help you stick to a budget while shopping.
2. Bring reusable bags. The less plastic bags the better! And most stores actually offer a discount if you bring your own bags now too!
3. Shop sales and use coupons: You can usually find these online, or in the weekly sale ads that most stores have available.
4. Buy generic brands: Sometimes these are just as good as name brands, and often times cheaper!
5. Avoid processed foods: They’re expensive, not very nutritious, and often loaded with sugar, fat and salt! Stick with fresh fruits and vegetables instead of chips or cookies!
6. Don’t shop when you’re hungry – You’re more likely to overbuy and spend too much if you do your shopping on an empty stomach.
7. Buy in bulk – You can save some serious cash by buying larger quantities of food easily stored for long periods of time, like canned goods or frozen items, or even staples like flour and sugar.
8. Take advantage of the free samples! They are there for a reason—don’t be shy about having someone give you a few bites of cheese or whatever else they’re offering that day!
Overall, you should be able to save a fair amount of money on your next grocery run by using the tips above. While you may still want to do your shopping in person, these tips should minimize the costs that you accrue over the long-term. After all, we’re talking about saving money here—not spending it.