There are so many different types of hair removal products available today, including depilatories, waxing, laser treatments and electrolysis. But for the majority of women who want to get rid of unwanted hair on their legs, shaving is the go-to method.
Shaving is inexpensive and convenient. It’s also widely available at drugstores and grocery stores across the country. However, if you’re not careful with your razor and don’t use proper shaving techniques, you could end up causing cuts and irritation that could lead to infection or even permanent scarring.
Here are some tips to protect your skin when you are shaving at home.
- Use a new blade:.Change blades after each pass over your legs or underarms. Each time you shave, the blade gets duller and can cause ingrown hairs and irritation.
- Use shaving gel or cream before applying any shaving product on your skin. This helps protect the area from friction that could irritate and burn the skin.
- Moisturize. After shaving, apply a light sunblock or moisturizer with sunscreen to prevent drying out your skin. This will help prevent redness, irritation and inflammation that leads to razor bumps or ingrown hairs.
- Shave in the shower. Rinse off any residue from body wash or soap before shaving. Warm water opens pores and softens hair for easier removal by the razor blade.
- Make sure you are using the right blade for your skin type. Some blades are better for people with sensitive skin, while others work best for those with coarse hair. If you have never tried a particular brand of razor, it’s worth testing it out for a week or two before buying in bulk.
- Shave with the grain of your hair growth. You should never shave against the direction of hair growth because this will cause irritation and ingrown hairs on your face.