Self-care is important for our health, happiness, and productivity. But when you’re busy, it can be hard to fit in the little things that make a big difference in your life. These easy and affordable self-care tips can help you start the new year on a positive note.
1. Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is important for your physical and mental health. If getting enough sleep can sometimes be difficult for you, try setting an alarm to remind you to go to bed early and get up at a consistent time every day. You might also want to try some breathing exercises or meditation before bed.
2. Check off a goal: If you have any New Year’s Resolutions, now is the time to check them off! And if you don’t have any resolutions, why not make one? It’s easier than you might think — just pick something that will make your life better (maybe it’s calling your parents more often or learning how to play the guitar). When you accomplish that goal, celebrate!
3. Exercise: While it might not seem fun at first, exercise is great for reducing stress and clearing your mind so that you can focus on other things. Plus, after exercising you’ll feel all-around better.
4. Make sure your home smells good. By lighting candles or using an essential oil diffuser you can fill your home with smells that lift your mood and promote relaxation and happiness. Try adding cinnamon sticks or cloves to simmering water on the stovetop for a warm comforting smell or add some lemon slices or vanilla powder to boiling water.
5. Treat yourself. If you’ve been busy shopping for gifts or hosting friends and family lately, give yourself a break. Have a cup of tea, take a bubble bath or go for a walk around the neighborhood. You deserve it.
6. Meditate. It doesn’t have to be an hour-long or involve incense or chanting. Sit quietly in a comfortable place and focus on your breathing for five minutes. As thoughts come into your mind, let them go and bring your attention back to your breathing. Repeat this as often as possible throughout the day.
7. Stretch. Get ready in the morning with some yoga poses or reach up and stretch at your desk while you take a break from work every couple of hours. Not only does it help with flexibility but it also eases stress.