If you’re on a weight loss plan, you have to watch your portions. But that doesn’t mean you have to give up snacking altogether. In fact, snacking is an important part of a healthy diet because it can help you avoid overeating at mealtime, and it keeps your blood sugar levels steady throughout the day.
If you’re trying to lose weight, however, the snacks you choose are important — they can make or break your diet. Here are some healthy low-calorie snacks for weight loss:
- Nuts — Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashews and pistachios are all great sources of protein and fiber. They also contain healthy fats that help you feel full longer and prevent spikes in blood sugar levels.
- Vegetables — Raw vegetables like carrots, celery sticks or cherry tomatoes make great snacks because they’re easy to chew and digest quickly. You can also add hummus or guacamole if you want something more flavorful.
- Fruit — Fruit makes a great snack because it contains fiber, water and antioxidants that help boost your immune system while helping you shed pounds faster! Try apples with peanut butter or strawberries dipped in dark chocolate chips for more flavor options.
When choosing healthy snacks, keep the following tips in mind:
- Choose snacks with protein and fiber. Snacks with protein and fiber will help you feel full longer and prevent blood sugar spikes and crashes that can lead to cravings.
- Choose snacks with water content. Water-rich foods are naturally filling without adding calories. They also help keep you hydrated during the day.
- Choose snacks with a variety of colors. Eating foods that come in a variety of colors helps ensure you’re getting all the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs for good health. This is especially important if you’re trying to lose weight because it can be difficult to get all the essential vitamins and minerals from just one food source alone.