Mosquitoes are the bane of summer. They’re annoying and sometimes dangerous, especially for people with allergies or asthma.
If you’ve been looking for a natural mosquito repellent, you’re not alone. Mosquito bites can be itchy and painful. They can also spread diseases like West Nile virus, which is why it’s important to use a repellent that works well and is safe to use on your skin.
Here are some of our favorite natural mosquito repellents:
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil has been used for centuries to repel insects because it smells so good to us but off-putting to insects. It’s also safe for humans and animals alike since it’s derived from plants rather than synthetic chemicals
- Citronella candles: These provide an easy way to repel mosquitoes without having to apply anything directly onto your skin (which can be irritating if you have sensitive skin). Plus, they smell great!
- Lemon juice: Lemons have been used as a natural insect repellent since ancient times3 because they contain citric acid that’s naturally toxic to insects like mosquitos but harmless to humans.
- Lemon eucalyptus oil: Lemon eucalyptus oil is one of the most effective natural mosquito repellents. It contains citronella, geraniol and limonene, which are all natural insect repellents. Citronella is also found in many commercial repellents.
- Cedar oil: Cedar oil is another effective natural mosquito repellent. You can use it by itself or blend it with other essential oils for added effectiveness. Cedar wood chips have also been shown to be effective at keeping mosquitos away from containers filled with water when placed around them in a circle formation.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil contains menthol that gives it a cooling sensation when applied to the skin. This makes it an ideal choice for hot summer days when you want to cool off while protecting yourself from mosquitoes at the same time. The smell of peppermint is also known to repel mosquitoes because they dislike anything that smells minty or citrusy.