The summer is here, and it’s time to start planning your next adventure! Whether you’re headed out for a weekend getaway or a week-long road trip, it’s important to know how to stay safe in the great outdoors. Here are ten tips for making sure your summer is one for the books:
1. Stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause headaches, nausea and even heatstroke—so make sure you’re drinking enough water before and during your trip.
2. Pack snacks! You never know when hunger might strike, so having some granola bars in your bag will help keep you on track with your schedule (and won’t make you tempted by fast food).
3. Bring bug spray! Whether it’s mosquitos or ticks or bees, bugs love to bite, so be prepared with some topical ointment like Benadryl spray or lotion with aloe vera in it so they don’t ruin your vacation!
4. Check the forecast before leaving home! If there’s rain predicted for where you’re going then pack an umbrella to keep dry when hiking or biking through nature’s splendor;
5. Wear sunscreen every day—even if it’s cloudy! You can still get sunburned on cloudy days, so wear plenty of SPF every time you go outside.
6. If you’re out camping or hiking at night, bring a flashlight with extra batteries so that if something happens (like getting lost), you won’t be stuck without light.
7. Stay off any trails that look dangerous or not well-maintained. Don’t climb on rocks where there are no handholds—they could break away under your weight and leave you stranded on a big rock face with nothing but air underneath your feet!
Summer is full of fun, but it can also be extremely dangerous. Whether you’re camping, hiking, or simply spending time outside in the sun, follow these ten safety tips to ensure that you and your friends have a safe, fun-filled summer.