You know what one of the most important things about content marketing is? It’s something that holds back a lot of marketers, and it’s also one of the most useful tools you have:
It’s your willingness to fail.
The thing about content marketing is that it doesn’t work, not all the time. If you approach your content marketing like some kind of magical unicorn who will always hit it out of the park, then you’re never going to get to the point where you’re actually creating great content.
Because content marketing isn’t like any other marketing practice, and we don’t mean just in terms of how it works. We mean in terms of how you have to approach it. You have to be willing to take risks with your content and make mistakes and learn from them, because if you don’t, you’re going to end up stuck in the same place forever.
It’s no secret that content marketing is tough—but it doesn’t have to be so difficult.
Here are 5 ways to make your content marketing more productive and impactful:
1. Invest in research! The more you know about your target audience, the better you’ll be able to match your messaging and tone to their expectations and needs.
2. Focus on what makes you unique. Don’t reinvent the wheel—just make sure you’re making the one you do have look good.
3. Share content that matters to the people you want to reach, not just because it’s convenient for you.
4. Keep an eye on how your content performs—and how it jives with your goals. If something isn’t working for you, try something new!
5. Remember that marketing is about building relationships with people who could become customers, partners, or cheerleaders for your brand—so show them some love!