A puppy may be a cute addition to the family but it is also a lot of hard work. Whether you are looking for a pet dog or an active dog, there are some things you should know about bringing your new pet home.
- You need to be prepared before you even bring your new puppy home. This means getting the right supplies ahead of time so that you do not have to run out and get things when the puppy arrives. You need a crate and bedding for the crate, food, bowls, treats, toys, and cleaning supplies.
- You also need to have your yard checked for holes where the puppy could escape. You should have a secure area where the puppy can play outside without worrying about having him or her escape.
- When you bring your new puppy home, try to schedule your first week so that you do not have a lot of other things going on. You will want to spend time bonding with your new pet and scheduling time off can make this easier on both of you.
- You will want to take some time when introducing your puppy to family members as well as other pets in your household. The best way to do this is slowly and encouraging positive interactions between them all.
- Teach him his name. It’s important that he learns to respond to his name so that you can call him when he wanders off or you need him to come in from outside.
- Give him a regular feeding schedule for healthy eating habits. Feeding puppies on a consistent schedule will help you and your pup avoid any accidents in the house due to full bladders and bowels.
- Provide your new puppy with chew toys and other items that are specifically designed for puppies (and puppies only). Be sure not to give him access to old shoes, socks, plants, or other things that can be chewed up and ingested.