The food we eat is an important part of our lives. We need to be healthy and we need to feel that we are doing the right thing for our families. Most of us want to do everything we can to save money and get the most for our hard-earned dollars. But sometimes, you might be spending more than necessary on food by not making the most of your trips to the grocery store. The following tips will help you get the most for your money when shopping at the grocery store:
- Buy in bulk. Try to buy items that you use daily or weekly in large quantities at the warehouse club. Get savings by buying items in bulk.
- Buy generic. Generic brands cost less than their name-brand counterparts, so why not try them out? You might be surprised by how good they taste.
- Buy seasonal food. Fruits and vegetables are much cheaper when they’re in season. Even if you don’t like something, consider buying it anyway since its price will be low.
- Stock up on sale items. If an item goes on sale, stock up and freeze it for later or to give away as gifts. You can also donate it to homeless shelters, soup kitchens and other charities who would appreciate the food donations.
- Try coupons. Look for coupons in newspapers, magazines, mailers and websites like CouponMom.com that will help you save money when you go shopping.
- Make a meal plan for the week ahead of time. Plan out your meals before going shopping so you don’t buy unnecessary ingredients or ingredients that have gone bad before you have time to use them. The easiest way to plan for your weekly meals is with a pad and paper. Write down your grocery list next to each meal and fill in the ingredients as soon as you run out. This will help you keep track of everything you need and stop you from buying an item that’s already in stock. It’s also much easier than trying to add all of this stuff to an app or online list when it’s already in front of you.