Don’t let the warm weather get in the way of your job search. If you’re looking for a new job, there are plenty of reasons why June might be the perfect month to get started.
Some tips for job-seekers:
- Take advantage of summer programs. Many employers offer internship programs or part-time opportunities during the summer months. If you don’t find anything that fits into your schedule, consider volunteering for an organization or nonprofit in your community. You can still gain experience and build relationships with potential employers and mentors who are willing to help guide you on your career path!
- Use this time to up your search efforts. If you’re not busy with work or school, now is a good time to dedicate more time and energy to your job search.
- Make sure your resume is up to date. Don’t forget about your online presence. Update your LinkedIn profile and make sure you have a strong Twitter presence.
- Make a list of your skills and strengths. List everything you can think of, then prioritize them. For each one, write down how it relates to the jobs you’re applying for. This will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses.
- Research companies you want to work for — and apply! Apply to as many positions as possible so that you can learn what types of jobs interest you most. This will help with future applications as well because it gives you insight into what different employers are looking for in an applicant.
- Take advantage of networking opportunities. Networking events are great places to meet new people who could help expand your professional network or recommend you for a job opening they know about. But don’t just attend these events; prepare for them beforehand by researching companies represented there and preparing questions or talking points that show off your knowledge of their business or industry.