If you want to be healthy, it’s a good idea to eat your olives. They’re even better for you than you could imagine.
Olives are one of the most versatile and nutritious foods in the world. They help beat high blood pressure, manage weight, prevent cancer and even help you live longer. Here are some amazing health benefits of eating olives:
The health benefits of olives include:
- Antioxidants. Olives are packed with antioxidants called polyphenols, which help prevent cell damage and may protect against cancer and other diseases. Polyphenols also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve arthritis symptoms and slow down aging processes in your body.
- Cholesterol-lowering effects. Olives contain plant sterols known as phytosterols, which can lower bad cholesterol levels and increase good cholesterol levels in your blood — two factors that contribute to heart disease prevention and overall cardiovascular health.
- Olives are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats. These healthy fats can help lower your cholesterol levels, which can reduce your risk of heart disease. Olives also contain vitamin E and antioxidants that support eye health and lower blood sugar levels, which can help prevent diabetes.
- Olives are low in calories: A serving size of olives is only about 10 grams — or about 20 small olives — so they’re a healthy snack choice when you want something crunchy or salty. Plus, they’re high in healthy fats instead of empty calories like processed snacks tend to have.
- It protects your liver from disease. The antioxidants found in olive oil may help protect the liver from oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which can cause inflammation and cell damage leading to chronic diseases such as cirrhosis, hepatitis or cancer.