You don’t want to be left in the shade when the sun is out!
Since the days are getting longer, we want to make sure you’re staying safe and feeling good out in the sun. Here are some tips for having fun with your friends—while keeping yourselves healthy and happy.
1. Wear sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy or you don’t think you’ll be out all that long.
2. Don’t forget to reapply! You have to be vigilant against UV rays, or they can sneak up on you before you know it.
3. Don’t forget your sunglasses! The sun can do a number on your eyes without proper protection, especially if you’re spending a lot of time outside.
4. Always wear flip flops or sandals in the water. Especially when you’re at the beach, but even when you’re just washing your hands—stepping on a piece of glass or other sharp object can ruin your entire day.
5. Stay hydrated! Keep a water bottle with you at all times, and make sure you drink up so that you don’t start cramping on your way home from the beach (or worse, pass out).
6) Avoid alcohol when you’re going to be outside. Alcohol will dehydrate you faster than just being in the sun!
7) Be aware of your surroundings. If you start feeling any of these symptoms, get out of the sun immediately: nausea, vomiting, chills, headache.
The bottom line is this: don’t overdo it. Instead, take small safe steps to determine your tolerance. After each sun exposure, monitor your skin to see if you have veered into the red area of a burn. If you are on your way, get out of the sun immediately, and slather on some SPF lotion. The quicker you react and take care of your skin, the more likely it will bounce back to a healthy complexion.