When you’re meeting your partner’s parents for the first time, it can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. They’re important people in your life, after all! It can help to think about this step as part of a process. Think about what you want to get out of the meeting and how you want to present yourself as an adult who cares about their child. As you plan to make a memorable first impression, here are some tips to help you succeed in the meeting with your partner’s parents:
1. Dress Well. It is important to dress professionally. Dressing casually without regard to the occasion may offend your partner’s parents.
2. Be Punctual. Being late is always considered rude especially if you are the guest of honor.
3. Show Interest in Your Partner’s Family. Ask questions about their family and express genuine interest in getting to know them better. This will set a positive tone for the rest of your visit and demonstrate that you care about your partner and his or her family and that they matter to you as well. It will also reveal more details about your partner’s upbringing and background, which can be an interesting conversation starter and ice-breaker between you and his or her parents.
4. Compliment Your Partner’s Parents on Anything You Can Think Of: Appearance, Personality, or Anything Else Positive About Them such as their good cooking skills, good taste in home decorating, etc…You will notice how much this will mean to them and it will leave a lasting impression on them as well as you and your partner later on when they recall this special visit (and how thoughtful and kind you are).
5. Ask your partner questions Do your best not to say anything that could possibly offend them, such as commenting on their weight or asking too many questions about their finances or profession. Be aware of any sensitive subjects that may cause tension between the two of you, like religion or politics, and avoid bringing them up at all costs.